Sunday, September 5, 2010

Pandan Reservoir - first try

I am most upset. Have you ever seen a three piece rod like this?



No? Me neither. That's because rods dont exist in 3 pieces like this. I quite cleverly managed to turn my 2 piece rod into a three piece rod.

Now, let's start from the beginning:

This afternoon, I was feeling a little frisky, so I decided to take my spanking new Shimano Antares out for a walk to Pandan Reservoir. Nice cloudy day, not too hot, and when I arrived, I saw some people at the corner hook up a huge peacock bass.





Use of bait is prohibited in reservoirs (to prevent polluting the water - which we drink), and any fish caught must be released (for conservation - they're not tasty anyway). Turns out that some in this bunch were using dead prawns as bait. Eventually, they did release the peacock bass - into their ice box. I don't understand why people must be so greedy.

Anyway, the day was going good and I was practicing casting the baitcasting reel, when BAM! I accidentally slammed my rod into a metal gate that had very cunningly snuck up on me. And that's when I also created the mother of all backlashes on the reel.



Backlash, bird's nest, char bee hoon. What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other would smell as sweet. And a char bee hoon would, as a char bee hoon should, be just as BLOODY ANNOYING!

It occurs when the spool overruns the line, resulting in the excess line doubling back on itself. Such is the bane of all baitcasting reels. After spending half an hour trying to clear it, I concluded it was a pointless endeavor and cut the line instead. So now I've only got about half the line I originally started with.

Pandan Reservoir. I'll be back.


View Larger Map

2 comments:

  1. That backlash sure looks horrible. How many metres/feet was your spool initially?

    ReplyDelete
  2. think it was overspooled. after cutting away the line it feels much much better =D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...